Monday, September 17, 2007
- 'Peru's President Rises Sharply In Poll After Quake' (Reuters) "President Garcia's approval rose sharply in September after falling for months as voters gave him high marks for trying to swiftly respond to a devastating earthquake in August." In Spanish: see Ipsos Apoyo poll; El Comercio report
- 'Yale To Return Peruvian Artefacts' (BBC)
- 'Yale And Peru Reach Pact On Artifacts' (Inside Higher Ed, Scott Jaschik)
- 'Yale Officials Agree To Return Peruvian Artifacts' (New York Times, Randy Kennedy)
- 'A Pleasant Aftershock' (Boston College Heights, Lucia Benavides)
- 'Castro Castro Victims Bring Lawsuit Against Fujimori' (International Rehabilitation Council For Torture Victims) "It is the first international case in Latin America on violence against women. Fujimori planned, ordered and led this massacre. The Castro Castro Prison case is a crime of major proportions; that is why there is a demand to bring Fujimori to justice."
- 'Unions Oppose South American Free Trade Efforts' (Crosswalk, Nathan Burchfiel)
- 'A Good Peru Trade Pact' (opinion, Washington Times, Barbara Bowie-Whitman) former US State Department official; cf 'Pass Peru Trade Promotion Agreement Now' November 2006
- 'Peru Towns Reject Zijin's $1.4 Billion Mine Project' (Reuters)
- 'Latin America Sees A Boom In Business-School Programs' (Wall Street Journal, Carlota Fluxa) re: Alejandro Flores, Escuela de Postgrado de Universidad del Pacífico."
- 'Pure Biofuels Raises US$30 Million for Latin American Ambitions' (Pure Biofuels press release)
- 'New York Fall Exhibition Preview' (Art Info, Magdalene Perez) re: Cesar Cornejo
- 'Paddington Bear Goes Hollywood' (New York Times) 5th item; "Paddington, a refugee from Peru who turned up in Paddington Station in London"; see official website
- Bruno Monteverde Knocked Out in U-17 Pan American Badminton (Jamaican Gleaner)
- 'Paterson Native Leads Revaluation Protest' (Herald News, New Jersey, Suzanne Travers) re: Veronica Callegari-Valentin
- Dr. Mark Rego, Member, Peruvian American Medical Society Responds to Pain Article (letter, New York Times) "I have worked for several years supporting and developing a free mental health clinic for the poor of Ayacucho, Peru." cf. Psychiatric News, 2006
- '4 Peruvians Deported For Using RP In Sneaking Into Canada' (Philippine Inquirer, Martaux Ortix) "Four Peruvian nationals have been deported for attempting to use the Philippines as a jump-off point to enter Canada illegally. Immigration Commissioner Marcelino Libanan said in a statement he ordered the Peruvians placed on the immigration blacklist to prevent their reentry into the country."
- 'Solidarity Meeting In Peru Condemns US Law Against Cuba' (Prensa Latina, Cuba)
- 'I've Got To Draw A Line A Snorting Gourmet Cocaine' (The Times, UK, Caitlin Moran) "More affluent customers, meanwhile, go for a much higher quality Peruvian cocaine. ... Specifying “Peruvian cocaine” – like it’s “Madagascan vanilla essence,” or “the wines of the Loire. It makes you sound like you know a little bit about the provenance."
- 'Gene Savoy, 80; Uncovered Ancient Ruins' (Washington Post using Associated Press, Martin Griffith)